Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Opportunity Camp

For anyone who has ever talked to me about Opportunity Camp should know how I feel about it. Opportunity Camp is a camp for the inner city and refugee kids in Memphis. The kids who come to camp don't have a lot. Some of the stories would make you cry your eyes out. I know this is a fact because I've known people to cry at just hearing the stories.
I have been a counselor at Opportunity Camp four years now. It is one week at the beginning of every summer. I have worked with kids from the age of 6 to 11. The girls are amazing. It is a true picture of how God's love is for all nations and His love isn't limited to certain social groups or groups of people. Everyone needs to hear how they have a God who loves them. They have a heavenly father that is always there for them even when their earthly father isn't. So many of the kids who come to camp have NOTHING. 
We have a Christmas party every year for the kids (and numerous others). People sponsor kids by going out and buying a few things for them to have as Christmas presents. A lot of the kids will open their presents the day of the party (usually a couple weeks before Christmas), but some of the kids won't open their presents because that is all they will have on Christmas. They wait to open the presents on Christmas since that is all they will get. 
These kids are great kids. I have first hand experience. My first year as a counselor I worked with the youngest age group. Last summer I worked with the oldest age group. A lot of the kids I had in '07 were in my cabin again in '10. The girls had grown up so much. I see first hand how the camp really does affect their lives in a positive way.
I have seen kids at the camp come to know Christ and it is a beautiful thing.  Almost all of the kids that come to camp don't have great living arrangements. Some of the kids have one parent or no parents. Some of the kids are abused, whether is be physically or emotionally. 
When the kids arrive at camp they are generally quiet and unsure of who you are (unless they know you from a previous year). They are unsure just because they have no reason to trust anyone in life because they have been hurt. After an hour or so they love you. They will literally say they love you. To have a little girl look up at you and say I love you when she just met you says a lot about the little love they receive on a daily basis.
One of my favorite girls at camp puts up an exterior. She tries to act tough and like nothing bothers her. She does this to protect herself from the people around her. She has told me she loves that she can be real with me. She doesn't have to pretend. I am there for her. I am not going to hurt her, I am not going to laugh at her...She is a child of God, just like me.
I could go on and on with stories. I am not saying too much just because some of the stories are not pleasant at all. And by saying not pleasant is a complete understatement.

You can ask anyone in my family...I am not someone who cries a lot or easily. If I cry it is usually in private and no one knows. Every year when the girls leave camp I cry. I ball my eyes out. Every year I tell myself "Im not going to cry this year." It never fails...I cry every year.
The first year I was a counselor I had the youngest girls (5-8 years old). I was on a bus saying goodbye to all of the girls. One of my girls was crying her eyes out and looked up at me and said "Please don't make me go home." If that doesn't break your heart I don't know what will.
Having a six year old girl beg me with tears in her eyes to not make her go home is a hard reality. When I was six I loved going home. I knew I had a loving family that could support and protect me. These kids do not have that in their life. This camp is one of the only things they have to look forward to.
Camp is like a vacation for them. They get to leave for a week and be loved and cared for. It is a great ministry for kids who truly have nothing. 

The kids all come to camp for free. I am not sure of exact costs but I think it costs about $150 for each kid to come. The number of kids we can have at camp is directly related to how much money we receive through donations. Every counselor pays $50 to be a counselor. This helps with the funs, but money is always needed. It is not easy or fun to turn kids away because we simply don't have the money. We are at a new location this year for camp and we have the space to bring a lot more kids. I am beyond excited about this. 
If you are willing or want to help here are some ways you can:
1. Go to opportunitycampmemphis.com and see more about the camp. You can watch videos and see what the camp's mission is.
2. Give. Money is always needed. Anything helps. If you can give a dollar, give a dollar. 
3. Donate. We have a supply cabin that the kids can go "shop" in. Most of the kids are lacking something. Whether it be a pillow, sheets, underwear, a bathing suit, soap, shampoo, etc. The kids need things. You can donate old things or go out and buy new stuff for the kids.
4. Tell someone. If you know anyone who would want to be a counselor, spread the word. Counselors are always needed. ALWAYS. You can see more on the website.
5. Pray. Prayer is a mighty and powerful thing. I pray for these kids year round. I pray for their safety at home and school. I pray that their hearts are being changed and the God is revealing himself to them everyday. I pray that they know someone, at least one person, does love them. I pray that they know they are valued and worth something despite what the world will say. I pray for myself. I pray that I will be used by God to reach these kids. Praying never fails. God is always faithful and will come through. 

There are so many ways people can help. A lot of people have never heard of Opportunity Camp. If you love the city you live in, this camp is helping to reach out and minister to the kids in the city.
Nothing is too small. 
I want everyone I know to help out in some way. These kids deserve to be loved and we as the body of Christ should help out anyway we can.

If you want to help out let me know. I can tell you more. I have stories and pictures and anything you could possibly want to know about the camp. 

2 comments: